Scotts Valley 
Sportsmen's Club

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

What is the Scotts Valley Sportsmen's Club and what are its objectives?

SVSC is a private club that sponsors organized rifle and pistol shooting, as well as individual range use. Fostering safe handling and proper care of firearms, and improved marksmanship are priorities. The club promotes training and safety classes geared towards youth and women, as well as traditional events such as the Civilian Marksmanship Program and Santa Cruz Muzzleloaders black powder shoots. 

When and where does the Scotts Valley Sportsmen's Club meet?

The SVSC meets on the fourth Tuesday of each month except December at Sundeen Hall, 1024 Cayuga St., Santa Cruz, CA.  Meetings start at 7:00 PM*.

*Please make note of new start time.

How can I join the Scotts Valley Sportsmen's Club?

Click on the "MEMBERSHIP INFORMATION" or "JOIN US" link the club's home page for full details on how to join.  You must be a member of the National Rifle Association in good standing, be sponsored by a current member of the club, undergo a background check, attend a range safety orientation, attend club meetings and pay dues and an initiation fee.

I'm on the waiting list to join.  How do I get to the next step?

When you apply to join the Club you will be placed on a waiting list after your application has been accepted by a board member. You will remain on the waiting list until you attend a New Member Range Safety Orientation.  Range Safety Orientations are held approximately monthly, by invitation only. To be fair to applicants who have been on the waiting list for some time, invitations are based on the date of application, oldest applications first.  Members of the same immediate family will be invited to attend their orientations together if possible.

Each applicant will be given three opportunities to attend a Range Safety Orientation.  If an applicant skips all three opportunities, and does not notify the board of a valid excuse (illness, travel out of town, etc.), the applicant will be dropped from the waiting list. The board may use its discretion to waive the Range Safety Orientation requirement for returning members who left the club in good standing.  

I am a former member of the Club. How do I become a member again?

The process to become a member again varies depending upon how long ago you were a member. This is because our rules, safety procedures and membership requirements may have changed over time, and we want to be sure you are up to date and currently qualify for membership.  Here are the requirements based upon how long ago you were an active member. 

 When did you leave the club? Requirements to rejoin
Less than 2 years ago Be an NRA member, submit to a background check, take our SOP (range rules) test and pay your dues for the current year plus $20 for a new badge and key card. 
More than 2 years, less than 5 yearsBe an NRA member, submit to a background check, take our SOP (range rules) test, attend a New Member Range Safety Orientation and pay your dues for the current year plus $20 for a new badge and key card. 
More than 5 years ago Apply as a new member. Fill out the application form on our website, be an NRA member, submit to a background check, take our SOP (range rules) test, complete an interview with a member of our Membership Committee, attend a New Member Range Safety Orientation, pay dues for current year plus initiation fee, and complete 3 probation activities within 9 months.

How can I join the NRA?

There is a link on the homepage of this website which will take you to the NRA's recruiting website. This website will explain all the requirements and costs, and you can join online from there.  When you join the NRA or renew your membership using the link on our website, you get a discount on NRA dues and the Scotts Valley Sportsmen's club receives a commission which we use to help operate the range. Current prices as of June 10, 2020 to join or renew membership in the NRA on our website are:

One Year Membership $35
Three Year Membership $85
Five Year Membership       $100
Life Membership    $1,000

How do I get a copy of my NRA membership Card?

On the Home Page of our website click on the link labeled "Need a copy of your NRA Membership Card? Login HERE."  You will need your NRA membership number and need to establish an online account with the NRA to complete this.  Once you have logged in there is a box on their Online Member Services Page called "Manage Your Membership".  At the bottom of this box is a link to print a copy of your membership card.  

Why does the club require me to send in a picture of my NRA membership card?

As an NRA affiliated club, we are required to verify every member's current membership credentials.  This is important, because the NRA offers significant grants for range construction and maintenance for clubs that maintain 100% NRA membership. This can be accomplished by sending us a picture of your NRA membership card or the mailing label from an NRA publication like the American Rifleman, which shows your membership number and expiration date.  All smart phones can take a suitable picture of your NRA card or label...just be sure the card fills most of the screen when you take the picture, or you can use a scanner.  Alternatively, you can send us a paper copy if it's clear and readable.  If you have a multi-year membership we do not need to verify your card every year.  Please notify us when you renew your NRA membership, as the NRA does not notify us.  

Do I have to be a club member to use the club's range?

Only members and their accompanied guests may use the range.  All guests must be accompanied by the hosting member. The range is also used by the Scotts Valley Police Department for firearms training and qualification. Members are not allowed to "loan" their electronic range key to anyone else. 

Are there any limitations on what type of firearms I can shoot at the club's range?

Yes.  Only those weapons which may be legally owned and used by individuals in the State of California may be used.  Specifically, 50 caliber BMG weapons and weapons firing ammunition derived from the 50 BMG cartridge may not be used on the range.  Fully automatic weapons (i.e., machine guns) are also not allowed for member use, but may be used by the Scotts Valley Police Department during official training exercises when the range is closed to the general membership.  No explosive devices, rocket launchers, exploding targets, tracers etc. are allowed on the range. We are in a forest, and don't want anything that is likely to ricochet and cause a forest fire.

How to get another Yahoo email address and link it to your main Yahoo email account

Because our club software requires each member to have a unique email address, some members who have been sharing an email address with another family member who is also a club member, some members will need to obtain a new email address.  Here's how to do this with Yahoo email: 
  • Open the Yahoo webmail page in your browser
  • In the upper right hand corner click on the small gear-shaped icon that is for SETTINGS
  • A menu will open on your screen.  Select “Accounts”
  • Several options will appear, including “Extra Email Address”
  • Click on “create address” and follow the instructions.  
How to share an email address when using Gmail

Because our club software requires each member to have a unique email address, some members who have been sharing an email address with another family member who is also a club member will have to use a different email address.  Here's how to create additional Gmail addresses that all go to the same address on your computer.  Suppose your email address is  You need an email address for your son Ed, but you want the messages to come to you.  Simply add +Ed to the email address so it looks like this:  Our club's software will see this as a different address, but Gmail will see it as the same address because Gmail ignores everything between the + and @ symbols.  You can create filters in Gmail to sort email addressed this way into different folders when it arrives, if you want.  This trick may work with other email providers, but does not work with Yahoo, Hotmail, email and various others.

How do I get a password for access to the club's website?  I can't access the club's website?
While anyone can visit the Scotts Valley Sportsmen's Club website, there are a couple of sections that are available only to members.  Only members can log in and update their membership profile, and there is a section for members-only discussion and announcements.  New members and applicants can obtain their password by:
  1. Click on the login button at the top of the home page (just right of center).  
  2. You will see a login screen and on that screen there is a clickable link labeled "Forgot Password".  If you click on this link, it will give you instructions on how to get a new temporary password which will be emailed to you.  Note that this will not work until your membership application has been reviewed and accepted by a club officer. 
  3. Once you have this temporary password you can log in using your email address and the password sent to you, and then go to modify your profile (home page, green box) to set a password more to your liking.  You are encouraged to use a secure password with a mix of letters, numbers and symbols.  
If you still have trouble obtaining a password, you can email and he can send you a temporary password via email.  
I want to pay my annual dues with a credit card.  How can I do that and how does the Club keep my credit card information secure.  

The Club uses PayPal to process all of our credit card transactions.   When you click on the link on an invoice sent to you by the club, or if you go to your profile to open an invoice and pay online, you will be taken from the Club's website to a secure PayPal site.  The Club never sees and has no record of your credit card information.  All necessary information is kept instead by PayPal.  This means that no hacker or cyber thief can access your credit card data from the Club's website, because we don't have it.  

To pay your annual dues with a credit card, you have a couple of choices.  

  1. If the club emailed you an invoice, you can click on the link on the email, and it will take you to the PayPal site.  On this site you will be given your choice to use PayPal's service (in big letters, it's their site) or a credit card (in smaller letters, look to lower right side of the payment option page).  Follow the online instructions and enter your credit card information.  Note that when you do this, PayPal automatically sends us notice that you have paid, and your record in our database is automatically updated to show your dues as paid.  
  2. On the home page of this website you can open your profile.  It will tell you if you have any outstanding financial obligations to the club and give you a link to pay them electronically.  
  3. We cannot take credit card information by telephone or in the mail.  
I am joining the club mid-year.  Do I have to pay the full year's dues when I join?
No. At the October 2019 Board Meeting, a decision was made to increase the initiation fee from $75 to $100 and to pro-rate the annual dues collected at initiation based on the month of initiation. A schedule of fees was established as follows:
Orientation Month Initiation FeeDues Collected 
 January $100$  125
 February $100 $  120
 March $100 $  105
 April $100 $    95
 May $100 $    80
 June $100 $    70
 July $100 $    60
 August $100 $    55
 September $100 $    45
 October $100 $170 (includes following year dues)
 November $100 $170 (includes following year dues)
 December $100 $170 (includes following year dues)
The initiation fee was raised to better reflect the time and effort expended by club officers in organizing the entire on-boarding process for new members including interviews, range safety orientation classes, creating new member credentials and tracking meeting / club service attendance by probationary members. This fee goes to the club treasury, but we believe it should reflect the value of the time volunteered to manage the process. 

The dues pro-rating is intended to be fairer to those members who join late in the year instead of charging a whole year of dues for members who join mid-year. Members who attend their Range Safety Orientation in October, November or December are also charged for the following year dues and will not have to renew their membership almost immediately after joining. 

PO Box 66132 | Scotts Valley, CA 95067 ||

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software